Sunday, September 13, 2015

The Most Important Story

Jesus.

When I think of Him and His life, there are so many roles he played. Child, son, brother, friend, carpenter, healer, king, and the list could go on. I love thinking about His role as a teacher.

God in the flesh was a master teacher. Think about that.

He did not have fancy technology or engaging materials or fancy foldables or creative crafts or an objective written on a white board. All the things we think a productive classroom has to have today.

Jesus taught with story. His stories, His parables. As a teacher, He used stories to take abstract concepts such as mercy and forgiveness and made them concrete for our feeble minds. Great teaching doesn't need fancy equipment. Jesus shows us that the best lessons can be learned simply from sharing a story.

I believe the power of story speaks to the human spirit. I'm not a theologian or a minister or anything of the sort. But, I am a follower of Jesus, and I know He is the ultimate teacher. I believe in Jesus. I also believe in the power of a story.

On this blog, I am excited to share some of my favorite children's literature and children's stories. But, I could not start this blog without talking about a few ways to share The Most Important Story with children starting right from the beginning.

My girls are very young, so these are simple, but this is where we are at for now.


Simple words and simple pictures tell the stories.


Love love love the tag line "Every story whispers his name." This is so precious and so beautifully written. I find it touching and inspirational, and I'd probably read it even if I didn't have kids. I used to read it to Caroline when she was a tiny newborn. Right now, she just can't sit through a whole story, so it is on the shelf for a bit. But we get back to it someday.


A friend at church shared this one in our Bible class a while back. It's a board book with a soft lamb on the front! Double wins. We knew Caroline would love it, since she is very into anything with animals on it lately, so we ordered it on Amazon that Sunday.

 She often requests to sleep with this Bible, which I think is so sweet. This Bible works well for our almost-two-year-old-peanut-attention-span-girl because each story is only one page in poetry form. She loves the rhythm of the poems and she also loves the pictures. This Bible would make an awesome baby shower gift. 

I'll leave you with a sweet little video of Caroline "reading" this Bible. We are still a little unclear on the fact that the Egyptian Princess is not "Baby Mo-Mo's" mama, but we will get there ;-).  




Thanks for reading, and I would LOVE hearing any other children's Bible suggestions, especially to use as my girls get older. 


No comments:

Post a Comment