Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Current Favorite Counting Books

I blogged a tiny bit during my first couple years of teaching. I enjoyed it at the time, but in the end I just couldn't keep up. I never thought I would blog again in my entire life. When I quit working, I felt like I needed to channel my passion for children's books into something productive, and I really like writing about books! 

So, having said that, I never intentionally took pictures of my girls with books. However, looking back, I have hundreds of pictures of Caroline with books. They've just crept into our pictures over time.

One of my old favorites of her reading One Sunny Day.

I'm totally off track already! So, today I wanted to highlight a couple of our favorite counting books. To be honest, Caroline is not super into counting books. She can identify 23 uppercase letters, but cannot identify any numbers. Bless her, she's my child. 

So, I love finding counting books that she truly enjoys.


My First 123 by Jane Horne

This little counting book snuck into several pictures. It has been one of her favorites for a while.


Reading the farm page.


 
Reading it while eating barbecue.


Here is a better pic of the neat textured cover. Fun fact, I spent time wiping out all of those crevices yesterday because Molly Kate spit up all over it. (laughing cat emoji) Caroline loved playing with this book in the car, because the texture feels like pressing buttons.

The textured cover makes this book special, but the pictures and objects you count are bright and fun!  It also rhymes. That may be why Caroline likes it so much.

The bad news, is that I cannot find it on Amazon or on the Target website. I bought it at Target over a year ago, but I've seen it  on shelves many times in the last couple months. 





My Very First Book of Numbers is fun and interactive. The pages are split in half. The top half has pages that go in numerical order, while the bottom are mixed. Children have to match the number to the amounts of fruits pictured. I'll be honest, Caroline was probably only interested in this book at first because she liked naming the fruits, but we are working on the counting part now.



All of the little owl books are super super cute. This one is no different, and it's under $6 on prime. Woodland animals/forests are popular themes for children's rooms or parties these days, so this book would be a cute gift for anyone who is decorating with that style.




I was honestly a little shocked by how much Caroline likes this book. It is not near as basic as some of the other counting board books out there. It has basic addition, it counts way higher than most toddler books, and there is much more print to read.

However, I think she really enjoys all of the details in the pictures. Each illustration provides so many things to count. She also loves anything involving cats or bunnies, which are plentiful in this book.

We've been reading this book for months. Before she turned two, we didn't focus as much on the counting. Rather, she identified every item she knew in the picture. We worked on describing, etc. Now, we've moved into more counting.













No comments:

Post a Comment