Sunday, November 1, 2015

My Favorite Biography Ever: When Marian Sang

On my teaching blog I have been writing about some of my favorite biographies. Today, I wanted to do a crossover, because I wrapped up 3 days of writing about When Marian Sang, by Pam Munoz Ryan.

I'm talking about this biography on both blogs, because it is hands-down one of my all time favorite pieces of children's literature. It was my favorite picture book read-aloud to use when I taught 5th grade.

Here are the teaching blog posts if you're interested in a deeper look into these books:

When Marian Sang Part 1
When Marian Sang Part 2
When Marian Sang Part 3



When Marian Sang captures the journey of Marian Anderson, and her journey into a musical career. She had to deal with frustrations and humiliations along the way due to racism and segregation in this country. She endured and reacher her goals through perseverance. What an important message for us to teach our kids!

This story also leads us to one of her most well-known moments; when she sang at the Lincoln Memorial to a huge crowd! The story weaves in Eleanor Roosevelt, as she helped arrange this concert.






A few more reasons why I love this book:

1) Along the way, the book has many lyrics to songs that Anderson sang, including "He's got the Whole World in His Hands, Deep River, and Let my People Go." Your kids will love singing along.

2) The illustrations are beautiful!

3) The historical connections are great.

4) The Message: There are SO many great discussions you could have with your kids about tough topics such as racism and segregation. You can discuss great values such as perseverance, courage,  and endurance.


My girls are still a bit young for this book, but it's waiting in my library for a few years down the road...I hope you all will check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment